Call Now 770-769-5820

legal aspects you should know before marrying a foreigner

September 13, 2022

Love is accidental; out of nowhere, it can suddenly appear while visiting a relative abroad, on vacation during a Caribbean cruise, on a business trip, or even during a pilates class. No matter how or where you met “your soulmate,” love has no boundaries. That being said, your spouse’s immigration status and their process should not be a problem. Therefore, to help you build a future alongside your loved one, we will explain the top 3 legal aspects you should know before marrying a foreigner.       1) There is the K-1 Visa, for those who want to get married on U.S. soil. Whether you proposed on a trip to Paris or met your fiancé(e)’s family overseas and decided to have them as part of the proposal, where and how you proposed doesn’t matter that much. What matters is whether the wedding will be on U.S. soil or not. If so, as a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your fiancé(e) and apply for the K-1 visa to get married here. The K-1 visa, also known as a fiancé(e) visa, allows your future spouse to travel to the U.S. for marriage. The condition is that there must be an intention of getting married within 90 days of their arrival. We recommend your fiancé(e) doesn’t extend their travel period. In the unfortunate event you don’t get eloped during this time, your fiancé(e) must leave the country. Failing to comply can cause them to be deported and jeopardize their chances of having other immigration benefits. After getting married, your new spouse can later apply for an adjustment of status to become a U.S. permanent resident and receive a green card. Remember, the USCIS states that the marriage must be legitimate in which there is an intention that both you and your fiancé(e) are going to establish a life together and that the marriage is not to provide them immigration benefits.       2) K-3 Visa, for those couples that wish to get married outside the U.S. In the event you marry your fiancé(e) in their native country or outside of the United States, your partner can still enter the U.S. by applying for the K-3 visa. By having this visa category, your spouse is also eligible for an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. With the K-3 visa, it is important to know that your partner must apply for it in the country where you got married. In addition, in order for your loved one to be legally qualified as a spouse, it is not enough to live together in the U.S.; you must legally elope. However, according to the USCIS, couples that have a material union in another country may qualify for the K-3 visa dependent on how each country defines common-law marriage. It is important to note that in polygamous relationships, only the first spouse is eligible for this visa.       3) Is it possible to get married on a tourist visa? When getting married to your partner that has a tourist visa, we recommend following a series of steps that will help avoid any legal problems. For starters, you should […]

Read more
Call Now